Class management of Sotpattana School for the Deaf is based on its educational program which was formulated by all concerned and corresponding to the School’s philosophy and vision. Based on the Early Childhood Education Program, BE 2546, the educational program of Sotpattana School for the Deaf makes use of innovation, local wisdom, as well as the traditions and culture of the community in the promotion of students’ experience with the aim to develop the children’s quality according to the set standards. The formulation of the curriculum has also taken into consideration the children’s nature, skillfulness, interests, needs, differences between individuals, as well as conditions and requirements of the school and community. Seventy percent of our curriculum is from the Early Childhood Education Program, BE 2546, while the rest is our own formulated program.
Childhood education program of Sotpattana School for the Deaf is learner-centered. The school integrates activities that support happy learning and positive learning attitude. Based on learned experiences, student will be able to further develop their ideas. They can joyfully learn and play, laugh happily, use sign language to communicate with their classmates, and have friends to play with. These activities are focused on the physical, emotional, mind, social and intellectual developments according to the students’ ages and potentiality in the learning atmosphere that is warm like their own homes while stimulating children’s discovery of new challenges.
Academically, the school provides learner-centered courses with environment that facilitates learning. Through the organization of the six activities, the courses integrate both academic contents and skills development so students are able to gain direct experiences, knowledge, sign language skills, and appropriate speech therapy. Furthermore, close guidance based primarily on the needs and abilities of children at each age and their individualities is provided by the teachers so that the students have the opportunity to develop self-confidence, self-esteem, and appropriate expressiveness. The courses also promote student’s morals and ethics.
In the formulation of its education program, the School focuses on the four aspects of child development, i.e. physical, emotional, social, and intellectual, as well as the fulfillment of students’ potentiality according to their ages and differences between individuals. The program is also created based on the following standard criteria and expected qualities:
- Having physical growth appropriate to their ages and having good hygiene.
- Having strong, active and well coordinated gross and fine motors.
- Having good mental health and happiness.
- Being ethical, principled, and kind-hearted.
- Appreciating and expressing themselves in art, music, movement, and physical exercise.
- Being self-supportive as appropriate for the children their age.
- Having the love of nature, environment, customs, and being Thai.
- Being able to live happily with other people and becoming good members of the society of a democratic system having the King as the head of state.
- Being able to use signs and speeches to communicate properly for the children their age.
- Having the ability to think and solve problem properly for the children their age.
- Having imagination and creativity.
- Having positive attitude towards learning and having skills for knowledge seeking.